So now that I had a little more time with my new, improved non-school dependant schedule, I thought I’d finally get around to doing something with all those scraps I made from cutting up our school uniforms in July. (See Transition Year)
I decided on a pattern for the latest patchwork pillow creation, sat down to sew at my treadle sewing machine (See Seamstress) and BING…BONG. The teeth that move the fabric no longer moved the fabric. Well, this was something beyond my abilities to repair, so I asked my husband to look at it. He did, after a few weeks of nagging. It took him 20 minutes to fix.
So then I sit back down ready to roll, and CRUNCH. The wheel that turns the band that makes the whole rigmarole go was bent. Frustrated, I piled up my patchwork pieces and started in about getting a new sewing machine base.
My husband knew a guy whose mother had an old machine. But the mom didn’t want to sell. She had another older base she’d be willing to part with but it was crooked. One of the legs had been damaged over the years. And she wanted $500 pesos for it.
Then I remembered when we went to get a piano in Morelia (See Piano shopping) we had stopped at a roadside flea market and they had the most beautiful Singer sewing machine and base I had ever seen. After having bought our lovely piano earlier that day, I didn’t have any money on me for the sewing machine besides which it was a bit pricey. The guy wanted $2,000 pesos for the set (machine and base). Now that my own sewing machine was kaput, maybe we could see if he’d lower the price any. Consequently, my husband and I spent 3 weeks trying different random days and times to see if the place was open. No luck.
On the way back from one of these fruitless trips, we drove past another junk shop in Moroleon. The owner was just setting out a wrought iron sewing machine base. We immediately stopped and asked the price. $250 pesos and he’d throw in the curvy part that covered the wheel so that the ladies skirts didn’t get tangled in it. I whipped out my wallet.
It was quite a trip home with this HEAVY iron between us on the motorcycle, but I was determined and hung on off the back of the motorcycle rack hoping that I wouldn’t fall off at every tope (speed bump). Me, the iron, the motorcycle and my husband arrived home safely. My husband spent the afternoon fiddling with it. The bolts were stripped and needed to be replaced. $20 pesos for a bag of bolts. Then it was rather rusty, so we picked up a can of paint ($50 pesos). It ended up that my husband didn’t put that wheel guard on. I mean I typically don’t sew with a full skirt on, so no worries about getting tangled. All in all, I’m delighted with the new improved sewing machine. It runs as smooth as a baby’s bottom (whatever that’s supposed to mean).
So then the question was what to do with the old base. As the wheel was bent, it really wasn’t going to be good to anyone as a serviceable item. Well, waste not, want not. My son varnished a piece of scrap wood and my husband mounted it to the base and voila, a new, vintage table. Everybody around here has at least one of these sewing machine base tables. And now I do too.
So now that the pillows are piling up, it’s time to head to the tianguis (flea market) and see if we can convert those old uniforms into a few pesos. My next project will be curtains for the upstairs windows. Stay tuned for details on that remodeling project.